Geneseo Migrant Center and National PASS Center

Sources of Aid for College

This information is available in Adobe Acrobat 'pdf' format.
Click HERE to get it.

Education or training after high school can be very expensive. Still, post-secondary education is more important than ever, so you need to learn about as many sources of aid as you can. Sources you can use to find out about federal and other student aid are described below:

The United States Education Department provides more than $60 billion per year, or about 70% of all student aid, to help millions of students and families pay for post-secondary education. There is a wealth of information on its web site at under the Financial Aid section. Of particular interest is the "Think College Early" link. A booklet by the same name can be obtained by calling toll free (877) 433-7827 or se habla español a (877) 576-7734.
The financial aid administrator at each college in which you're interested can tell you what aid programs are available there and how much the total cost of attendance will be.
Two federal income tax credits-dollar-for-dollar reductions in tax liability-are now available for higher education expenses. The HOPE Scholarship, a tax credit worth up to $1,500 per student, is available to first- and second-year students enrolled at least half time. The Lifetime Learning Credit is a tax credit equal to 20 percent of a family's tuition expenses, up to $5,000, for virtually any post-secondary education and training, including subsequent undergraduate years, graduate and professional schools, and even less than half-time study.

For more information on the HOPE Scholarship, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and other tax benefits for post-secondary students, see the Internal Revenue Service's Publication 970. You can get a copy of Publication 970 by calling 1-800-829-3676. You can also download the publication at

The state higher education agency in your home state can give you information about state aid--including aid from the State Student Incentive Grant (SSIG) Program, which is funded jointly by individual states and the U.S. Department of Education.
The agency responsible in your state for public elementary and secondary schools can give you information on the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program (Byrd Program). To qualify for aid under the Byrd Program, you must demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and show promise of continued academic excellence.
The AmeriCorps program provides full-time educational awards in return for work in community service. You can work before, during, or after your post-secondary education, and you can use the funds either to pay current educational expenses or to repay federal student loans. For more information on this program, call 1-800-942-2677. Information is also available at
A public library is an excellent source of information on state and private sources of aid.
Many companies, as well as labor unions, have programs to help pay the cost of post-secondary education for employees, members, or their children.
Check foundations, religious organizations, fraternities or sororities, and town or city clubs. Include community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, YMCA, 4-H Club, Elks, Kiwanis, Jaycees, and the Girl or Boy Scouts.
Don't overlook aid from organizations connected with your field of interest (for example, the American Medical Association or the American Bar Association).
The U.S. Armed Forces also offer financial aid opportunities. For example, all branches of the Armed Forces offer the Reserve Officer's Training Corps (ROTC) Program, which is a federal merit-based scholarship program that will pay for your tuition, fees, and books, and provide you with a monthly allowance. For more information on the ROTC Program call 1-800-USA-ROTC.
If you (or your spouse) are a veteran or the dependent of a veteran, veterans educational benefits may be available. Check with your local Veterans Affairs office. Information is also available at

Selected Scholarships and Assistance Programs:

Gates Millenium Scholars Program
P.O. Box 10500
Fairfax, VA 22031-8044
877-690-4677 (Toll Free)
Must be a legal resident of the United States
Must meet Federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria
Gloria and Joseph Mattera
National Scholarship Fund for Migrant Children

Geneseo Migrant Center
3 Mt. Morris-Leicester Road
Leicester, NY 14481
800-245-5681 (Toll Free)
Other scholarship opportunities are also available
Hispanic Scholarship Fund
55 Second Street - Suite 1500
San Francisco, CA 94105
(877) HSF-INFO (Toll Free)
Must be a legal resident of the United States
Application deadline: February 15th
League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) National Scholarship Fund
LULAC National Educational Service Center
2000 L Street, NW, Suite 610
Washington, DC 20036
Must be a legal resident of the United States
Application deadline: March 31st
Ohio Freshman Foundation Progam
Toni Ramirez-Mericle
Texas Advocates for Migrant Students (TAMS)
Mr. Victor Benavidez
Must be a permanent resident of the United States
Texas Rehabilitation Commission
800-332-0913 (Toll Free)
Valley Alliance of Mentors for Opportunities and Scholarships
P.O. Box 6882
McAllen, TX 78502
Must be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident with documents.
Application deadline: September 1st

Geneseo Migrant Center, 3 Mt. Morris-Leicester Road, Leicester, NY 14481
(585) 658-7960 - (800) 245-5681